Daily Herald: Assisted Living For Dementia Patients
December 2, 2012 (WLS) -- Almira Behrendt, 94, proudly shows off her new studio apartment in White Oaks at Heritage Woods of South Elgin, an assisted living facility offering affordable dementia care.
Her new home looks out onto a beautiful courtyard with plants inside and framed photographs on the walls.
Gordon Behrendt, Almira's son, says he keeps having to put the pictures back up because his mother takes them down, thinking she is moving again.
Behrendt is one of 32 people to get coveted spots at White Oaks, where she can maintain some semblance of independence while getting the attention she needs for her Alzheimer's disease.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, December 2, 2012, or online at www.dailyherald.com.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 25 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 54 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 38 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds