Rapid Round: Guide to Charitable Giving
December 6, 2012 -- 'Tis the season for end-of-year donations.
Joining us this morning is Chicago Magazine's Executive Editor Cassie Walker Burke with a Guide to Charitable Giving and recommended charities where your dollars will go far.
5 tips/questions to ask when choosing a charity:
Is the charity tax-exempt?
Does at least 75 percent of its budget go toward its mission?
Is the organization committed to transparency and accountability?
Is the CEO's pay less than 5 percent of the budget?
Is the charity getting the job done?
CHICAGO MAGAZINE'S TOP 3 RECOMMENDED CHARITIES:
Greater Chicago Food Depository (chicagofoodbank.org)
Habitat for Humanity (habitatlc.org)
Inspiration Corporation (inspirationcorp.org)
More info at Chicagomag.com
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD