Retired principal helps fight polio
December 22, 2012 (WLS) -- A retired principal from an Arlington Heights elementary school is just back from Africa and an important mission to help fight a devastating disease.
87-year-old Mary Stitt has traveled to Nigeria and other countries for 20 years to help fight polio. She came into our ABC7 studio to tell us about her recent trip.
Also, Dr. Carol Pandak, Director of Rotary (rotary.org) International's PolioPlus Program, was with us to talk about her organization, which is at the center of the fight against polio.
Polio now only exists in Nigeria, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. While Nigeria is the only country to record more polio cases this year than last, its implementation of an aggressive national emergency action plan is showing positive results with more children receiving vaccinations.
Rotary, a global humanitarian service organization, has been working to prevent polio (endpolio.org) since the 1970s, and in 1988 was a founding partner in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (polioeradication.org), which also includes the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 13 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 9 min ago
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 34 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos