2013 Financial Planning
December 27, 2012 -- As the 2012 winds down, there is a lot of uncertainty when it comes to tax rates and other financial matters because of the pending financial cliff.
Cliff Morgan with the Strategic Wealth Advisory Group has some end of the year tax tips to help people understand what they can do now to position themselves financially for 2013.
Last Minute Tax Planning
1 - Capital gains rates are set to increase from 15 to 20 percent.
2 - Also, be aware that starting in 2013, a new 3.8 percent Medicare tax on unearned income, including interest, dividends and capital gains, will take effect. So cashing in these investments may make sense in the proper situation.
3 - Some college credits are expiring but there are over 153 different strategies for families with college students.
4 - Set up IRA and Roth IRA accounts before December 31st (Contribution limits for 2013 increase to $5,500. If you are age 50 or older, you can put even more. In 2013, you can add $1,000 to your contribution amount.)
5- Completing Roth conversions this year may save you a significantly
6- Gift generously before the end of the year.
7- Start creating your 2013 tax plan, because taxes are going up! 2013: What's on the Schedule (but not certain)
We know that, as of December 2012, the following is on the docket for 2013:
A return to federal income tax rates of between 15% and 39.6 %
Elimination of qualified dividend income (QDI) preferred tax rates
A return to $1 million for estate and gift exemptions
Elimination of American Opportunities Credit
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bensenville police shooting injures man 39 min ago
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car 6 min ago
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos