2013 Financial Planning
December 27, 2012 -- As the 2012 winds down, there is a lot of uncertainty when it comes to tax rates and other financial matters because of the pending financial cliff.
Cliff Morgan with the Strategic Wealth Advisory Group has some end of the year tax tips to help people understand what they can do now to position themselves financially for 2013.
Last Minute Tax Planning
1 - Capital gains rates are set to increase from 15 to 20 percent.
2 - Also, be aware that starting in 2013, a new 3.8 percent Medicare tax on unearned income, including interest, dividends and capital gains, will take effect. So cashing in these investments may make sense in the proper situation.
3 - Some college credits are expiring but there are over 153 different strategies for families with college students.
4 - Set up IRA and Roth IRA accounts before December 31st (Contribution limits for 2013 increase to $5,500. If you are age 50 or older, you can put even more. In 2013, you can add $1,000 to your contribution amount.)
5- Completing Roth conversions this year may save you a significantly
6- Gift generously before the end of the year.
7- Start creating your 2013 tax plan, because taxes are going up! 2013: What's on the Schedule (but not certain)
We know that, as of December 2012, the following is on the docket for 2013:
A return to federal income tax rates of between 15% and 39.6 %
Elimination of qualified dividend income (QDI) preferred tax rates
A return to $1 million for estate and gift exemptions
Elimination of American Opportunities Credit
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
3 min ago