Hangover Help: New Year's Party Tips Before and After
December 30, 2012 -- Before you head out to a party to ring in the new year, you might want to prepare, so you don't start 2013 off sick.
We brought a health expert into our ABC7 studio to give us tips for before and after your party.
Dr. Kevin Dolehide with MetroSouth Medical Center, www.metrosouthmedicalcenter.com, explained what happens in the body to create a hangover and what to do get rid of it.
Dr. Dolehide's tips to get rid of a hangover:
- Have a couple glasses of water before you go out.
- Alternate one drink with one glass of water during the evening.
- The next morning, drink a lot of water or electrolyte-based drinks, like Gatorade.
A solid meal with a lot of protein and carbs
3. Drink milk
Milk can coat the lining of your stomach and inhibit the absorption of alcohol
4. Olive oil
Dip bread in olive oil; the fat content from the oil may help
5. Ginseng and Miso soup
- The Japanese say eating ginseng and Miso soup before drinking can help your body process the alcohol.
- Ginseng may also give you an energy boost that is more beneficial than caffeine or an energy drink.
Taking vitamin B6 prior to drinking, while drinking, and before going to bed can reduce hangovers
7. Peanut butter
In Africa, peanut butter is a common food to help prevent hangovers
8. Skip the alcohol
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell 17 min ago
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Aldi parking lot shooting victim may have been set up 16 min ago
- Report: Judge to hear CPS school closings case
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number 2 min ago
- Cook County sheriff provides free child ID kits
- Memorial Day weekend: Illinois roadways monitored during travel 1 min ago
- Couple implicated in boy's death enter plea
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old 32 min ago
- 7 in :77