Making Over Online Dating Profiles
December 31, 2012 -- Finding love online is becoming more and more popular, and there is a RIGHT way to do it.
It's reported that 1/5 marriages in 2011 took place because of online dating. The smart thing to do is decide to get on at least one if not two dating sites (there are over 1,500 registered sites). And, think of your profile and photos as your personal advertisement in cyberspace!
Dating expert and founder of Smart Dating Academy, Bela Gandhi shows how to make your on-line profile stand out from the millions of other profiles to get attention and to get someone to click on you!
Top/Common Profile Mistakes:
1) Being generic in your essays is a big mistake. "Show don't tell, and be specific!" 9 out of 10 profiles read the same way online, for example: "I'm fun, adventurous, and am just as comfortable in jeans as I am in a ball gown." This is NOT memorable; be authentic and unique. Instead of saying "I'm thoughtful" - think of a 1-2 sentence example that SHOWS how you're thoughtful. Example: "I'm the guy that will clean the snow off of your car, and warm it for you on a blizzardy day."
2) Spelling and grammar - Your online profile is your personal advertisement in cyberspace! People are brutal in their judgments of intelligence online. If your profile mixes up "your" and "you're", people may assume you're not well educated. Use a dictionary or spell check!!
3) Length - Don't make it too short or too long. Sticking to essays between 250-350 words is great! Writing about yourself is one of the toughest things to do well with online dating, so seek out friends for help if they're good writers, or hire a professional to do it. It's well worth it.
Q: How do you make a better profile photo? Great photos will make or break your profile. We are all visual creatures, but men tend to spend more time looking at photos than women. You need 5-6 total photos to make a compelling online dating montage.
1) First, you need a great headshot - Your opening photo is the most important picture. Direct eye contact with the camera, with a great smile. You should look warm and welcoming, so that the viewer will want to click on your profile, instead of one of the multitudes of others on the page! It should be well lit!
2) You need bodyshots! People want to see what you look like from head to toe!
3) No other people, pets, kids in your shots....And, dress to impress in your photos. Men, wear a nice sportcoat, dark jeans, a crisp shirt underneath, or nice layered sweater looks. It goes a LONG way, and doesn't look like you're trying too hard. For women, look feminine! Pretty blouses, dresses and skirts in solid bright colors photograph best!
What should be in profile?
1) Fun facts about you that are different....for example, maybe you won a hula hoop contest, you've hiked up Mount Everest, you're a 10 time marathon runner,
2) Things that you love to do - hobbies, interests, places you've been, places you want to go...
3) A great username....think of 3 adjectives that can be used to describe you in a clever way. String those together - think of your username as your product name!! If you are a teacher, and a great cook, you can call yourself, ZagatRatedTeacher!
What should never be included in profile?
1) Anything NEGATIVE - you don't want to be perceived as negative and with baggage. "If you're a drama queen or party girl, please don't bother emailing me." "If you're looking to hook up, look elsewhere." "I hate these online sites, but I figured everyone else is doing it...so what the heck."
2) Don't include your NAME in your username. You don't want people to know your name before you're ready....in a world of where people can take your image and a name, and google you.
3) Anything about your exes, personal problems. Everyone has issues, but this is NOT the venue to put it forward. Let people get to know the great side of you first, date you, and then like you. We all have our pasts and baggage, let that come out later.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents 22 min ago
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting 39 min ago
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap 59 min ago
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 3 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos