For Your Family: Flu Season and Free Mammograms
January 14, 2013 (WLS) -- In this For Your Family, we take a look at a round-up of stories affecting your family, starting with the cold and flu season.
The editors at Chicago Parent magazine went searching for the most helpful products to get you through all the coughing, sneezing and running noses. Here's what they found really worked:
You always need a good thermometer. One that simply swipes across the forehead to get a temperature read worked just like that! It's the Exergen Temporal Scanner. Easy and accurate.
The editors at the magazine also really like two humidifiers: the Starry Night and Germ Free Cold Moisture by Vicks. It's easy to fill the water, comes with germ free filters, solid and functional. Also the Ultrasonic Cool Mist by Crane, which is a local company based in Bensenville, Ill. It comes in fun shapes like an owl or tear-drop. Active enough to be used even in mom and dad's room.
Speaking of preventing germs, the 6 in 1 Babee Covee was designed by two moms and was featured on Good Morning America, and it won a number of awards. It covers the car seat, the shopping cart, the high chair. It has six different uses, providing germ free surfaces.
Finally, we wanted to let you know about free mammograms in the Chicago area. A program called "Buy a Mom a Mammogram" wants to make sure everyone has access to early detection of breast cancer. A Silver Lining Foundation is partnering with local hospitals to offer these free mammograms.
People can call A Silver Lining Foundation at (312) 345-1322, answer a few screening questions and then be referred to a partner hospital.
The program funds screening mammograms and diagnostic evaluation, as well as follow-up when indicated, including biopsies. ASLF also funds an annual mammogram for the people who go through their program.
Sinai Health System
South Shore Hospital
Swedish Covenant Hospital
University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences
Rockford Memorial Hospital
Coming in 2013:
Advocate Christ Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital
resources, judy hsu
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos