Last-Minute Oscar Party Tips
February 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- On Oscar Sunday, millions will be watching the awards show on ABC. but just because you're not on the red carpet, that doesn't mean you can't have glam and glimmer at your viewing party at home!
Susanna Negovan, Oscar Experience Chicago Co-Chair, came into our ABC7 studio with ideas to make your party Oscar-worthy.
(Ideas provided by Art of Imagination)
1. Creating the red carpet and backdrop with props next to it so they can add special touches
- take photos with guests' smart phones and post to Instagram
- Winner will be announced for Best Dressed by whoever gets the most likes and/or comments
- Have a red runner (pick up from a party store); backdrop
2. Décor: Candles - candles and more candles
Make custom candles with printed velum inside listing the movies up for Academy Awards.
These are the items you need:
- 1-12" clear glass cylinder
- 1-frosted vellum paper that already has a color copy of the Oscar statue printed on from a home printer
- LED light which you can buy at a craft store or even Home Depot
- double-sided tape
You take the vellum and wrap it around the outside of the cylinder to determine the size needed then mark it with a pencil- cut it evenly and with the double sided tape adhere it to the front of the cylinder. Place the glass cylinder upright then drop in the LED light and voila...you have your own illuminate Oscar for the night which can serve as a take home gift!
3. VIP swag bags with fun yet inexpensive dollar store finds
*** This event is SOLD OUT!***
Oscar Experience: Chicago
Sunday, February 24, 2013
6 p.m. to midnight
Gene Siskel Film Center of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago
164 N. State St.
Recipes Provided by: Pure Kitchen Catering (Oscar Experience Sponsor)
Les Mis - French: Jambon & Fromage on Baguette
1 lb Serrano ham or prosciutto, sliced
1 lb goat cheese (substituted for la clare evelon)
6 oz tomato jam
4 oz bread & butter pickles
4 T Dijon mustard
6 oz frisee
1 French baguette, sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut a small baguette in half, drizzle each side with olive oil and place on cookie sheet.
Assemble all items on one half, and place the other half on top.
Place a second cookie sheet on top with an ovenproof heavy skillet or other heavy ovenproof item to create a DIY Panini press effect.
Baked for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted.
Argo - Iranian: Jujeh Kabob
1 lb. boneless chicken cubed
¼ c lemon juice (3 lemons)
¼ onion minced
Splash of lemon juice mixed with a dash of salt (substituted for sumac)
1 tomato cubed
1 green pepper cubed
Marinate chicken for 1-2 hours.
Grill skewers until chicken reaches proper temp.
STOLI Gala Playbook
2 parts Stoli Gala Applik (it's vodka)
1 part lemon juice
1 part simple syrup (or agave nectar)
A few mint leaves
Shake with ice, and strain into a martini glass.
SAILOR JERRY Unchained
1 part (Sailor Jerry) Spiced Rum
2 parts cola
3 parts stout
Combine the rum and cola, and top off with the stout.
Serve in a highball glass.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie 35 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security 39 min ago
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum 59 min ago
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
38 min ago
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
35 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
3 min ago