Natural hair care for African Americans
February 26, 2013 -- All products are not created equal when it comes to which are best to use in African American hair.
There are particular ingredients anyone with a "natural" hair style need to look for when buying hair products, and harmful ingredients that should be avoided. Nadra Smiley-Martin, the founder of Amazon Natural Essentials has some advice.
- Products Smiley-Martin mentioned:
- Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo -- found at most local retailers (i.e. Target, Walgeens, CVS, etc)
- Evolving Textures, NaturalBundle.com
- Camille Rose, NaturalBundle.com
- Jane Carter Solution, JaneCarterSolution.com
To book a free hair consultation or sign up for an upcoming class, contact Amazon Natural Essentials at (773) 256-0500 or visit amazonnaturalessentials.com
Harmful Ingredients in your hair care products:
Ingredients mostly found in Styling Products: Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Lanolin, Petroleum- causes pore blockage, weigh the hair down and cause greasy build-up the hair and scalp.
Propylene Glycol- often found in cosmetic and hair products for a gelling or slicking affect, propylene glycol is also found in antifreeze, brake and hydraulic fluid.
Isopropyl Alcohol & Ethyl Alcohol- even though this is an organic ingredient it acts as solvents commonly used for dry cleaning, paint thinners, spot removers and nail polish. Alcohol can dry out the natural protective oil in your skin and hair
Ingredients mostly found in Shampoos and Conditioners: Laureth Sulfate/Sodium Lauryl- dries out the hair and scalp also strips the hair of natural oils causing breakage to occur.
Parabens (Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl)- chemicals are most commonly used as preservatives in shampoos, conditioners and styling products.
Natural Alternatives for Preservatives: Vitamin E, Optiphen Plus and Potassium Sorbate
Natural Alternatives for Moisturizers: Almond Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Almond Oil and Aloe Vera
Natural Alternatives for Oily Scalp: Peppermint, Basil, Eucalyptus, Witch hazel and Lemongrass
Natural Alternatives for Hair Growth: Lavender, Rose Hip Seed Oil, Rosemary, Aloe Vera and Avocado Oil
Natural Alternatives for Anti-Dandruff: Tea Tree Oil, Olive Oil , Jojoba, Garlic and Evening Primrose
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area 3 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning 11 min ago
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler