Elvis Artifacts on Exhibit at Graceland
March 11, 2013 (WLS) -- Graceland, in Memphis Tennessee is celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Elvis' "Aloha From Hawaii" broadcast. There are 2 new exhibits at Graceland, exploring various sides of Presley's career including films, music, touring and more. Graceland's Director of Communications, Kevin Kern shares some history and artifacts.
The newest exhibit, "Elvis' Hawaii: Concerts, Movies and More!" opened January 8 in conjunction with the Elvis 2013 Birthday. The exhibit celebrates Elvis' love for Hawaii and the 40th anniversary of "Aloha from Hawaii." This is the first exhibit to explore Elvis' connection with the islands. The exhibit allows guests to experience Elvis' Hawaii and see why it was one of his favorite places to vacation. The exhibit features never-before-seen footage of Elvis on the boat heading to Hawaii in 1957 and color footage of Elvis' first Hawaiian concert.
The second exhibit "Elvis: Live from Vegas" opened on March 1. The exhibit allows audiences to experience Las Vegas through the eyes of Elvis Presley. The exhibit features part of the 30-foot marquee Col. Parker had made to stand outside the New Frontier Hotel in 1957 and the first jumpsuit worn on-stage by Elvis in 1970. Guests have the opportunity to view rare artifacts including, hotel receipts, and show memorabilia as well as many other items. From the first time the King of Rock 'n' roll stepped foot on-stage in Vegas through his triumphant return in 1969 and beyond, this exhibit captures all of the excitement and energy that is Elvis in Las Vegas.
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Illinois Senate approves medical marijuana bill
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Karen Lewis re-elected head of Chicago Teachers Union
- Winning Mega Millions numbers announced
- CTA: Orange Line service resumes
- 4 men charged with murder of Chicago sailor in Bahamas
- New York City commuter trains collide in Connecticut
- Preckwinkle criticizes, questions CPS closures plan
- 2 rescued from capsized boat in Lake Michigan
- Thousands of area debit card users target of phishing calls
- 2 dead in Chicago Heights fire identified
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin