National Nutrition Month
March 23, 2013 -- March is National Nutrition Month, and this year's theme is, Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day.
Of course, food labels can guide us, but do you know what the info on them means? Melissa Dobbins MS, RDN and a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, came into our ABC7 studio to dispel food label misconceptions.
Melissa 's Tips:
All the nutrition facts on the label correspond to that serving size.
Your portion of food may be more than one serving listed on the label, and some individually packaged items are more than one serving.
1. Key Nutrients
Your specific health needs or goals will determine what nutrients you should pay more attention to.
If weight control is your goal, then "total calories" are most important; if heart health is your goal, "saturated fat" is important; if you have diabetes, "total carbohydrate" is important.
Multiply the amounts of nutrients by the number of servings.
2. Health and Nutrient Claims
Check the nutrition facts panel to get the full story.
If a nutrient is listed as 5 percent or less of the daily value (DV), it is low in that nutrient.
If it is listed as 20 percent or more of the DV, it is high in that nutrient.
To find a registered dietitian near you: http://www.eatright.org/programs/rdfinder/. To learn how a dietitian can help: http://www.eatright.org/nnm/rdandyou/#.UUCVe1fouvl You can follow Melissa on Twitter @MelissaJoyRD and find out more about her at www.SoundBitesRD.com.
Chicago Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Health Heroes Kids Event
Saturday, March 23
10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Lawndale Christian Health Center
3750 W. Ogden Ave.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation