Natural Easter egg dyeing
March 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Dyeing Easter eggs is a tradition for many families. There's no need to buy dyes when you may have ingredients in your kitchen that can accomplish the same result without any chemicals.
Julie Blubaugh from Whole Foods has the recipe for dyeing eggs using all natural foods.
2 cups water
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Your choice of coloring ingredients (below)
Hard-boiled eggs (here's our recipe for the perfect hard-cooked eggs)
Yellow 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Blue/Purple 2 cups blueberries, crushed
Pink/Red 2 cups roughly chopped raw beets
Put water and your choice of coloring ingredient into a small pot. Bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding any solids, then stir in vinegar.
Set aside to let cool until warm or room temperature.
To color eggs, submerge in dye, turning often for even coating, until desired color. For more colors, dye eggs first in one color, then wipe dry and dye in a second color. Experiment with other colorful ingredients such as red cabbage, blackberries, coffee, tea, ground paprika or grape juice, too, if you like.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 57 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 37 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 56 min ago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 27 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 9 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 34 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 37 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
24 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
34 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
37 min ago