Suburban Spotlight: Joliet
May 3, 2013 (JOLIET, Ill.) -- The Historical Museum and the RT 66 Welcome Center, Joliet as the Gateway to RT 66 in Illinois.
The Joliet Area Historical Museum occupies the space formerly known as the Ottawa Street Methodist Church at the intersection of Cass and Ottawa Streets in downtown Joliet. Since its opening in the fall of 2002, the museum's main exhibition gallery serves as an introduction to the many stories of the Joliet area and its people.
The Rialto Square Theatre is a theater in Joliet. Opening in 1926, it was originally designed and operated as a vaudeville movie palace, but it now houses mainly musicals, plays, concerts, and standup comedy.
Star Wars Day is June 1 in Joliet. More than 3,000 Star Wars enthusiasts attended in 2012, only the third year for the event, which is promoted as a family friendly festival. Games designed for kids and families to take part.
Two NASCAR weekends at Chicagoland Speedway and then the NHRA Nationals, which is the premier drag racing series, will take place at Joliet's Route 66 Raceway the last weekend of June. In addition, they have a demolition derby once a month from May through September at their dirt oval.
Cyborgs Robot: In just six week, the Joliet Cyborg Robotics Team designed, built and programmed a Frisbee-throwing, pyramid-climbing robot that competed in the prestigious FIRST Robotics Midwest Regional Competition at the UIC Pavilion in April. This extraordinary event provides high school students with an opportunity to combine the excitement of a sport with the rigors of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. This is the second year the Joliet Cyborgs competed in the FIRST Midwest Regional. This year, the team finished 15th out of a field comprised of 58 teams and participated in the quarterfinals.
Joliet is the 4th largest city in Illinois with a population of 148,000
resources, phil schwarz
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in 15 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos