Mother's Day Breakfast / Magnolia Bakery
May 11, 2013 (WLS) -- This Mother's Day, why not start the day out on a sweet note with a personalized cupcake? Depending on your skill level, you can decorate it in great ways.
Joely Vargas, Master Icer at Magnolia Bakery (www.magnoliabakery.com), came into our ABC 7 studio to show us how even kids can make great cupcakes for mom.
- Clean swipe on wand
- Start off by making a dome shape
- Tap down with wand, smooth sides, then smooth top
108 North State Street
Chicago Monday - Thursday, 7:30am - 9pm
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Sunday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Joely's Recipe: Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 box (4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 2 - 3 TBLS milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
Add the vanilla.
Gradually add sugar one cup at a time.
Scrape down sides of bowl often.
When the mixture starts to thicken and appears dry add 2 TBLS of milk.
Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy about 2-4 minutes.
Add more milk as needed if you want a thinner consistency.
If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
Store the icing at room temperature.
Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 9 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples 32 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos