Mother's Day Breakfast / Magnolia Bakery
May 11, 2013 (WLS) -- This Mother's Day, why not start the day out on a sweet note with a personalized cupcake? Depending on your skill level, you can decorate it in great ways.
Joely Vargas, Master Icer at Magnolia Bakery (www.magnoliabakery.com), came into our ABC 7 studio to show us how even kids can make great cupcakes for mom.
- Clean swipe on wand
- Start off by making a dome shape
- Tap down with wand, smooth sides, then smooth top
108 North State Street
Chicago Monday - Thursday, 7:30am - 9pm
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Sunday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Joely's Recipe: Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 box (4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 2 - 3 TBLS milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
Add the vanilla.
Gradually add sugar one cup at a time.
Scrape down sides of bowl often.
When the mixture starts to thicken and appears dry add 2 TBLS of milk.
Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy about 2-4 minutes.
Add more milk as needed if you want a thinner consistency.
If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
Store the icing at room temperature.
Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Canonization preparations underway in Rome
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee 47 min ago
- 3 shot in Lawndale near 16th, St. Louis
- NIU hazing death case in court
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- City to build Barack Obama College Prep HS
- Mount Baldy to remain closed this summer
- Mayor Emanuel criticized for proposed property tax hike
- Photos: Fermilab debuts first bison baby of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos