Rooftop Dance Series Waltzes Across Chicago
May 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Wake Up! Waltz, a monthlong dance series, appears on the rooftops of three Chicago neighborhoods through June 7 to the delight of morning commuters and pedestrian traffic.
Logan Square, South Shore and Uptown serve as the backdrop for the performances with rooftops as a stage and L platforms, sidewalks and bus stops as the best seats in the house.
Conceived, produced and directed by Josie Davis, Wake up! Waltz combines dance, theatre, design and urban planning to reshape the way urban residents connect with their surroundings. Four days a week, every Monday through Thursday beginning at 9 a.m., 20 dancers waltz their way into the workday of urban commuters. From melodic to modern, performers repeat vernacular and hip hop variations of the Waltz.
Turning a mundane commute into a magnificent glimpse of the unexpected is the mission of Wake Up! Waltz. Reflecting the vibrancy of Chicago's neighborhoods, the project encourages city dwellers to engage with each other, expanding on the public perception of what a city landscape and a morning commute can be.
Wake Up! Waltz Locations:
Chicago Park District
Haas Park Fieldhouse
2402 North Washtenaw
Two blocks east of California along the Fullerton bus route
2154 East 71st Street
Across from Family Dollar along the 71st Metra
Lake Pointe Apartments & Development Group
4660-68 North Broadway
4635-41 North Broadway
CTA visibility between the Wilson and Lawrence Red Line stops
Wake Up! Waltz Schedule:
May 13- June 7
On the Roof!
Mondays & Wednesdays-Uptown
Tuesdays & Thursdays-South Shore and Logan Square
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 51 min ago
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale 50 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set 22 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 23 min ago
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10M bond 25 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed 31 min ago
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- Selection Sunday 2014: March Madness bracket hints
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- 7 in :77
45 min ago
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour...
51 min ago
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos