Rooftop Dance Series Waltzes Across Chicago
May 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Wake Up! Waltz, a monthlong dance series, appears on the rooftops of three Chicago neighborhoods through June 7 to the delight of morning commuters and pedestrian traffic.
Logan Square, South Shore and Uptown serve as the backdrop for the performances with rooftops as a stage and L platforms, sidewalks and bus stops as the best seats in the house.
Conceived, produced and directed by Josie Davis, Wake up! Waltz combines dance, theatre, design and urban planning to reshape the way urban residents connect with their surroundings. Four days a week, every Monday through Thursday beginning at 9 a.m., 20 dancers waltz their way into the workday of urban commuters. From melodic to modern, performers repeat vernacular and hip hop variations of the Waltz.
Turning a mundane commute into a magnificent glimpse of the unexpected is the mission of Wake Up! Waltz. Reflecting the vibrancy of Chicago's neighborhoods, the project encourages city dwellers to engage with each other, expanding on the public perception of what a city landscape and a morning commute can be.
Wake Up! Waltz Locations:
Chicago Park District
Haas Park Fieldhouse
2402 North Washtenaw
Two blocks east of California along the Fullerton bus route
2154 East 71st Street
Across from Family Dollar along the 71st Metra
Lake Pointe Apartments & Development Group
4660-68 North Broadway
4635-41 North Broadway
CTA visibility between the Wilson and Lawrence Red Line stops
Wake Up! Waltz Schedule:
May 13- June 7
On the Roof!
Mondays & Wednesdays-Uptown
Tuesdays & Thursdays-South Shore and Logan Square
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking