Daily Herald: Gun Lawsuit
June 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Arthur Lovi has his antique guns back now, but he's not dropping his suit against the Arlington Heights police, saying they had no right to take them to begin with, or keep them until he got a lawyer.
It all started in August 2012, when Lovi told his new therapist how upset he was with the doctor who treated his wife (who had died nine years earlier). He said if he ever saw the doctor he would "beat him up," although he added he would not seek out the doctor to assault him. The therapist was concerned enough she called Arlington Hts. police to report this -- although adding she didn't think he was going to actually do anything.
After that, police reports and Lovi's accounts differ greatly -- Lovi says police came into his home without a warrant and took three antique guns, which he claimed he didn't even have any ammunition for. Lovi was not happy, but willingly went for a mental health evaluation, which he passed.
Still, the cops would not return his guns until he hired a lawyer, who made a phone call. Now he's suing the department for emotional distress and violating his civil rights. Lovi, by the way, once spent thousands of dollars to fight a $69.50 traffic ticket in Florida, which tells you something about the guy. And yes, he won.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, June 9, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com
- CTA Red Line shooting injures passenger 14 min ago
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
8 min ago