Race Against Hate honors dad killed by white supremacist
June 16, 2013 (WLS) -- On Sunday, June 16, 2013, runners are out and about in north suburban Evanston to honor the memory of a Northwestern University basketball coach. The 14th annual "Race Against Hate" honors Ricky Byrdsong, who was killed by a white supremacist in 1999.
The event was created to honor Byrdsong's legacy of working with young people, but most importantly, it brings attention to the need to end hatred and violence.
The race has gotten bigger and better every year. Approximately 4,800 people were participating Sunday.
The fact that it was held on Father's Day meant the world to Ricky Byrdsong's family.
"The way I look at it is that Ricky now is in the presence of his Father, his God, his Heavenly Father, and there's no better day than Father's Day to celebrate his life . A father's heart is to show love and to teach his children how to love, and love is the exact opposite of hate, which took away his life. So, I think father's day is just the perfect day to show how you can transform hate into love," said widow Sherialyn Byrdsong.
Participants from 16 different states came attended the race, which benefits the YWCA Evanston/North Shore, an organization that is starting a new Community Conversations on Race series in July. They host three free lunches every month to give people a chance to talk about current issues through a racial equity lens, and they host a movie series "Reel" Talk about race every two months. Information can be found on their website at www.ywca.org/evanston.
For more information: www.ywca.org/raceagainsthate
14th annual Ricky Byrdsong Memorial Race Against Hate
June 16, 2013
10K starts 6/16/2013 7:30 am
5K walk/run starts 6/16/2013 7:45 am
Youth Mile (9-13 year olds) starts 6/16/2013 9:00 am
Youth Mile (8 & under) starts 6/16/2013 9:15 am
Awards presentation 6/16/2013 9:30 am
Long Field, corner of Lincoln Ave. and Sheridan Road
Admission: $39 for 5K/10K, $15 for Youth Mile
local, diane pathieu
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Chicago radio legend Larry Lujack dies at 73 12 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road 5 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
- Chicago radio legend Larry Lujack dies at 73
12 min ago