Daily Herald: Navigators
June 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Bothered by the Boy Scouts of America's long-standing policies excluding gay youths and atheists, Elizabeth Vesto of Kildeer wanted her sons involved in an organization she believed in.
So, with the support of a Unitarian church in Palatine, she helped begin the first and only local chapter of Navigators USA, which bills itself as committed to providing a quality - and "intentionally inclusive" - coed scouting experience.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, June 16, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer