Chicago Botanic Garden: Summer Planting
June 22, 2013 -- It's officially summer - time to spruce up your yard in time for those summer parties!
So what should you plant now? Benjamin Carroll, Senior horticulturist at the Chicago Botanic Garden, came into our ABC7 studio with beautiful plants to give tips.
- Fill in your garden this month with beautiful summer annuals, including petunia's, dusty miller, sweet potato vines, and bidens. If you would love a beautiful spring-blooming perennial, Bleeding Hearts are still available.
- Have you checked your impatiens for downy mildew? If your leaves appear to have a white, downy coating of spores on the undersides of their leaves, then the plants are diseased. Flowers and leaves will start dropping and the plant will die. Alternatives include new guinea impatiens and coleus.
- Wondering what to plant in your vegetable garden before it is too late? Basil and Tomato are still available. Plant the tomato's a little deeper at this time in the season.
- Summer is here!
Always check to see if your plants need watering. If they are drooping and look to be dry or are dry to the touch, make sure to water in the morning.
Weave soaker hoses through vegetable gardens, and direct sprinklers to flowering gardens.
Be sure to water pots and containers.
On especially warm or windy days, pots and containers may need to be watered in the morning and the early evening.
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party