Financial Planning for Baby
July 26, 2013 -- William and Kate's new royal baby, George Alexander Louis, won't have to worry about his financial future, but for everyone else planning to add to their family, a baby is a big financial burden.
In the US, the 2011 Department of Agriculture study found a baby costs a middle-income family nearly $235,000 to raise to age 17. Kathy Roeser, the Executive Director at Morgan Stanley has some advice for couples planning for a baby.
1. Plan ahead: Don't wait for the baby to arrive before making financial decisions as life as you know it is over.
2. Make a budget: Put together a list of things you need for your child which will help limit overindulging when you are shopping for your new baby. Also, it is important to consider the everyday costs of formula or diapers which can add up quickly.
3. Consider costs of childcare: Childcare can be a huge expense so it is important to research your options and determine what is best for your family and your budget.
4. Start a savings account: Put the money a child may receive as a gift into a savings account. Some grandparents may want to put some money away for the child therefore it is good to have a place to start saving.
5. Start a college savings plan: Consider starting a 529 college savings plan that allows you to invest significant sums of money that can grow tax-free.
6. Review estate planning documents: If you don't have a will, it is time to make one or update the one you do have. It is also important to name a legal guardian for your child as well as naming your child as a beneficiary for life insurance or retirement savings
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 11 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn 15 min ago
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper 2 min ago
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
11 min ago