Art of Bonsai
August 19, 2013 (WLS) -- The millennium-old art of bonsai is coming to The Morton Arboretum this September.
Discover these imaginative miniatures for yourself as members of the Prairie State Bonsai Society show off their masterpieces and demonstrate the award-winning techniques. The Art of Bonsai show will be free with Arboretum admission and open to the public, Saturday, September 21 and Sunday, September 22 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
During the show, see more than 60 bonsai specimens, ranging in age from a decade to more than a century, then vote for your favorite in the best in show competition. Bonsai and bonsai supplies will be available for purchase. At 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., get professional tips on creating and nurturing bonsai as society members display their skills in live demonstrations.
Once a predominantly Chinese and Japanese art form, bonsai can now be found around the world. Contrary to common believe, bonsai are not created with genetically dwarfed plants but are naturally occurring plants that growers keep small through careful training and pruning. Bonsai are designed to showcase the inherent beauty of the trees and create a sense of nature in miniature, the natural world captured within a single pot.
Want to dig deeper? Enroll in a bonsai workshop Saturday, September 21 or Sunday, September 22. To register, visit mortonarb.org/education or call 630-719-2468.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 59 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
59 min ago