Millennium Park free ice skating begins
November 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park opens Friday and will remain open through Sunday, March 9, 2014, weather permitting.
For more than a decade, the rink has drawn more than 100,000 skaters annually and is free and open to the public. New this year are Winter Workouts presented by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. On Fridays-Sundays, one hour before the rink opens, free ice skating lessons will be offered. Each Thursday will feature ice sports skills and drills for Noodle Hockey, curling and speed. Grant support was provided by McDonald's Active Lifestyles Endowment, managed by Millennium Park Foundation. The rink, located on Michigan Avenue between Washington and Madison Streets, will offer skate rental for only $10.
The McCormick Tribune Ice Rink will operate under the following hours:
Monday-Thursday, Noon-8 p.m.
Friday, Noon-10 p.m.
Saturday (Through Jan. 4), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Saturday (Beginning Jan. 11), 10 a.m.-9 p.m.v Sunday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Special Holiday Hours
Thanksgiving Thursday, Nov. 28, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 29,10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Christmas Eve Tuesday, Dec. 24, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Christmas Day Wednesday, Dec. 25, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 26 through Monday, Dec. 30, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
New Year's Eve Tuesday, Dec. 31, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
New Year's Day Wednesday, Jan. 1, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 20, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Lincoln's Birthday, Feb. 12, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
The Ice Rink was the first element of Millennium Park to be opened to the public. A special ribbon cutting ceremony on December 20, 2001 featured performers and skaters including two gold-medal winning hockey players from the USA women's team, the Radio City Rockettes and actress Bonnie Hunt. The rink is 200 ft. long, 80 ft. wide and has 15,910 sq. ft. of skating surface.
For information on Chicago Park District ice skating rinks, visit chicagoparkdistrict.com.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 33 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 38 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street 47 min ago
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 8 min ago
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released 16 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos