Daily Herald: Diverse School Districts
December 22, 2013 -- The days of lily white suburbs have long since passed. Nowhere is that more obvious than in schools, where whites now comprise less than 50 percent of student enrollment in some suburban district
But because of the disparate boundaries between school districts and municipalities, the towns are lagging behind the schools in reaching -- and sometimes fully appreciating -- the diversity in their midst.
"It's a challenge when your school demographics don't match your community demographics. It takes a little bit longer for the community to fully understand and embrace all the changes that are going on and to understand the depth of the need," one educator said.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, December 12, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 27 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 19 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd 3 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Photos: SXSW accident in downtown Austin
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit 46 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Public transit is good for your health, study finds
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
27 min ago
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
55 min ago