Daily Herald: Diverse School Districts
December 22, 2013 -- The days of lily white suburbs have long since passed. Nowhere is that more obvious than in schools, where whites now comprise less than 50 percent of student enrollment in some suburban district
But because of the disparate boundaries between school districts and municipalities, the towns are lagging behind the schools in reaching -- and sometimes fully appreciating -- the diversity in their midst.
"It's a challenge when your school demographics don't match your community demographics. It takes a little bit longer for the community to fully understand and embrace all the changes that are going on and to understand the depth of the need," one educator said.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, December 12, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com.
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 23 min ago
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings 3 min ago
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 20 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward 25 min ago
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run 19 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 56 min ago
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- Fans gear up for Bulls, Blackhawks playoffs
57 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos