Concept cars big draw at 2013 Chicago Auto Show
February 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Auto Show doesn't open until Saturday, but we have a preview today. ABC7's Roz Varon took several of the new concept vehicles for a test drive at McCormick Place.
Concept cars are always an auto show favorite! We got to test drive many of the ones that will soon be in production.
Fuel economy is big this year. The Chevrolet Spark EV is all electric and fun to drive.
"You can charge it 80 percent in 20 minutes," said Chevy communications manager Annalisa Bluhm. "It goes 0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds, which is better than the Nissan Leaf, and it's 400 pound-feet of torque is better than a Porsche 911."
The 2013 Ford Fusion Energi is a plug-in hybrid that gives the driver choices: all electric, gas and electric, or all gas.
"It can go 21 miles on all electric power, top speed 85 mph electric mode, total range gas and electric 620 miles," said Ford program manager Shawn Lightner."
The Cadillac ELR extended range electric vehicle, which goes into production later this year, goes 35 miles on electric then switches to regular fuel for another 300 miles.
More diesel-fueled vehicles will be on display this year, like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The revised styling includes an 8-speed transmission that gets 30 mpg.
Feeling the need for speed? The 2014 Nissan GT-R fits the bill. At 0 to 60 in 2.7 seconds, it's the fastest car Nissan makes. It will be out by summer of this year. Start saving now. Sticker price: a cool $99,000.
The Chicago Auto Show opens Saturday and runs through February 18 at McCormick Place.
automotive, roz varon
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Canonization preparations underway in Rome 48 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee 23 min ago
- 3 shot in Lawndale near 16th, St. Louis
- NIU hazing death case in court
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- City to build Barack Obama College Prep HS
- Mount Baldy to remain closed this summer
- Mayor Emanuel criticized for proposed property tax hike
- Photos: Fermilab debuts first bison baby of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos