ABC 7 Chicago's "The Ñ Beat," With Host Theresa Gutierrez, Profiles Latino Public Servants
March 20, 2007 -- "THE Ñ BEAT," hosted by ABC 7's Theresa Gutierrez, with contributions by John Garcia and Stacy Baca, celebrates the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino Community, Saturday, March 31st at 6:00 p.m. with an encore presentation on April 21st, at 4:30 p.m. The Ntilde Beat is an Emmy Award winning series of half-hour programs airing quarterly.
This edition of The Ñ Beat profiles Chicago's elected Latino officials who have answered the call to public service and now use their political influence to affect changes within their communities. Sparked by the Civil Rights Movement, the Voting Rights Act of the 1960's, and a growing population, the Latino community's political clout has evolved. As the minority majority in the U.S., Latino leaders are being elected at every level of government and wielding more influence than ever before.
Featured guests on The Ñ Beat include Congressman Luis Gutierrez, a veteran of Latino politics serving Illinois' Fourth District; City Clerk Miguel Del Valle, an Illinois State Senator for 18 years and the first Latino to be elected to the State Senate; Alderman Danny Solis of the 25th ward, a Mexican immigrant, turned citizen, turned Alderman for the Pilsen Community in Chicago; Dr. Juan Andrade, President of the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute and authority on Latino history and politics; and Henry Cisneros, the former mayor of San Antonio and Secretary for the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Ñ Beat, is produced by Theresa Gutierrez and Edgar Vargas and is available "on-demand" at the ABC 7 website, www.abc7chicago.com.
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 41 min ago
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Milwaukee District West Metra trains moving, but delayed 17 min ago
- 'Sopranos' star James Gandolfini dead at 51 in Italy 25 min ago
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient 19 min ago
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges...
19 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures...
41 min ago