Out Of Many... One
June 24, 2006 -- ABC 7 Chicago's "Ñ Beat," hosted by General Assignment Reporter, Theresa Gutierrez, is a series of locally produced Emmy nominated half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making a difference. There are 21 ethnic groups that comprise the mosaic of the Latino people and in this special edition of "Ñ Beat: Out of Many&ONE," airing Saturday, June 24th, at 6 p.m., we focus on the five most prominent... Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans. While in total, 27% of Chicago's population is Latino, 77% of that total is Mexican, 11% Puerto Rican, 3% Cuban, and Guatemalans and Salvadorans together account for another nearly 5%.
Joining Gutierrez on her venture through Latino Chicago are ABC 7 Chicago Anchor, Weekend Morning News, and Reporter, Stacey Baca; and General Assignment Reporters John Garcia and Dan Ponce.
Gutierrez gives us a peek into the Mexican community through the eyes of Consul General Carlos M. Sada; Abe Tomas Hughes, president and CEO of the Hispanic Alliance for Career Enhancement; and Dr. Sylvia Ramos, president of Richard J. Daley College.
Gutierrez also provides us with insight on Guatemalans in Chicago through her conversations with Guatemalan Consul General Gustavo A. Lopez; and Rafael Carballo, Pollo Campero.
Baca shares with us the experiences of Cubans Maria Torres, Director of Latin Latina Studies at the University of Illinois in Chicago; Hugo Chaviano, Partner, Sanchez Daniels & Hoffman LLP; and Carlos Laguardia, owner of Laguardia Café.
Garcia offers a taste of Puerto Rico Chicago by introducing us to Zenaida Lopez, community relations officer for the Midwest Regional Office of the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration; Rudy Martinez, CEO, ihispano.com; and Sandra Bast, president, Bast Services, Inc.
Ponce lets us in on some of the intricacies of the Salvadorans in Chicago with Consul General Patricia Maza-Pittsford; and Rev. Jose S. Landaverde, Pastor, Amor de Dios United Methodist Church.
"Ñ Beat: Out of Many&ONE" is produced by Deborah Gunn airs Saturday, June 24th, at 6:00 p.m. and will have an encore airing Sunday, July 2nd, at 11:30 a.m.
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 2 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Coyote struck running through I-55 traffic 5 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 18 min ago
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling celebrates 50 years 42 min ago
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos