Latinos In Music
March 17, 2005 -- ABC 7 Chicago's "Ñ Beat," hosted by General Assignment Reporter, Theresa Gutierrez, and airing Saturday, March 26th at 6:00 p.m., is a series of locally produced half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making a difference in the community. This episode will focus on Latinos in Music. Music is an integral part of Latino life; from the new Rock en Español and Reggaeton (a Spanish Reggae sound) to Regional Mexican Music and Salsa, the Latin influence on today's music scene is undeniable.
Gutierrez, who hosts Latinos in Music, is joined by ABC 7's Co-Anchor of the Weekend Morning News and General Assignment Reporter, Stacey Baca; and General Assignment Reporter, John Garcia, regular contributors to "Ñ Beat."
In this special edition of "Ñ Beat," Gutierrez explains the popularity of Regional Mexican Music. This traditional music, often heard throughout the Chicagoland area, is a mixture of mariachi, norteño, and other music from all over Mexico. It is the sound that many Mexican-American immigrants grew up with, making its place in Hispanic culture undeniable.
Baca checks out the scene at the fourth annual Chicago International Salsa Congress. The Latino influence in music and dance is growing and now stronger than ever, evidenced by the fact that Salsa has become one of the hottest dance crazes over the last few years.
While Rock and Roll has been popular in the U.S. for over 50 years, Rock en Español has been gaining popularity. Garcia takes a look into this burgeoning scene that many second and third generation Mexican-Americans have adopted as their own.
Along with The Taino Dance Company, a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching children and teens the art of Latino dance, a Chicago landmark, the Aragon Ballroom, is also featured in this special "Ñ Beat." Two Latino partners, Luis Rossi and Ivan Fernandez, have managed to renovate this old gem and make it 'sing' again with predominately Latino shows.
"Ñ Beat" is produced by Lisa Lubin and will have an encore airing Saturday, April 9th at 2:30 p.m.
La Justicia Restaurant
3901 W. 26th St.
Chicago, IL 60623
Aragon Entertainment Center
1106 W. Lawrence Av.
Chicago, IL 60640
WVIV Viva 103.1FM
WOJO Que Buena 105.1FM
625 N. Michigan Av.
Chicago, IL 60611
Chicago International Salsa Congress
Cultural Expressions Productions, ltd.
333 W. North Av.
Chicago, IL 60610
Taino Dance Company
5137 W. Grand Av.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 22 min ago
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election 14 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting 42 min ago
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen 10 min ago
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
22 min ago
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before...
14 min ago
- Calumet Fisheries smokes, fries fish on...
6 min ago