Latinos In Music
March 17, 2005 -- ABC 7 Chicago's "Ñ Beat," hosted by General Assignment Reporter, Theresa Gutierrez, and airing Saturday, March 26th at 6:00 p.m., is a series of locally produced half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making a difference in the community. This episode will focus on Latinos in Music. Music is an integral part of Latino life; from the new Rock en Español and Reggaeton (a Spanish Reggae sound) to Regional Mexican Music and Salsa, the Latin influence on today's music scene is undeniable.
Gutierrez, who hosts Latinos in Music, is joined by ABC 7's Co-Anchor of the Weekend Morning News and General Assignment Reporter, Stacey Baca; and General Assignment Reporter, John Garcia, regular contributors to "Ñ Beat."
In this special edition of "Ñ Beat," Gutierrez explains the popularity of Regional Mexican Music. This traditional music, often heard throughout the Chicagoland area, is a mixture of mariachi, norteño, and other music from all over Mexico. It is the sound that many Mexican-American immigrants grew up with, making its place in Hispanic culture undeniable.
Baca checks out the scene at the fourth annual Chicago International Salsa Congress. The Latino influence in music and dance is growing and now stronger than ever, evidenced by the fact that Salsa has become one of the hottest dance crazes over the last few years.
While Rock and Roll has been popular in the U.S. for over 50 years, Rock en Español has been gaining popularity. Garcia takes a look into this burgeoning scene that many second and third generation Mexican-Americans have adopted as their own.
Along with The Taino Dance Company, a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching children and teens the art of Latino dance, a Chicago landmark, the Aragon Ballroom, is also featured in this special "Ñ Beat." Two Latino partners, Luis Rossi and Ivan Fernandez, have managed to renovate this old gem and make it 'sing' again with predominately Latino shows.
"Ñ Beat" is produced by Lisa Lubin and will have an encore airing Saturday, April 9th at 2:30 p.m.
La Justicia Restaurant
3901 W. 26th St.
Chicago, IL 60623
Aragon Entertainment Center
1106 W. Lawrence Av.
Chicago, IL 60640
WVIV Viva 103.1FM
WOJO Que Buena 105.1FM
625 N. Michigan Av.
Chicago, IL 60611
Chicago International Salsa Congress
Cultural Expressions Productions, ltd.
333 W. North Av.
Chicago, IL 60610
Taino Dance Company
5137 W. Grand Av.
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 20 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 17 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 2 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout