Latinos In Music
March 17, 2005 -- ABC 7 Chicago's "Ñ Beat," hosted by General Assignment Reporter, Theresa Gutierrez, and airing Saturday, March 26th at 6:00 p.m., is a series of locally produced half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making a difference in the community. This episode will focus on Latinos in Music. Music is an integral part of Latino life; from the new Rock en Español and Reggaeton (a Spanish Reggae sound) to Regional Mexican Music and Salsa, the Latin influence on today's music scene is undeniable.
Gutierrez, who hosts Latinos in Music, is joined by ABC 7's Co-Anchor of the Weekend Morning News and General Assignment Reporter, Stacey Baca; and General Assignment Reporter, John Garcia, regular contributors to "Ñ Beat."
In this special edition of "Ñ Beat," Gutierrez explains the popularity of Regional Mexican Music. This traditional music, often heard throughout the Chicagoland area, is a mixture of mariachi, norteño, and other music from all over Mexico. It is the sound that many Mexican-American immigrants grew up with, making its place in Hispanic culture undeniable.
Baca checks out the scene at the fourth annual Chicago International Salsa Congress. The Latino influence in music and dance is growing and now stronger than ever, evidenced by the fact that Salsa has become one of the hottest dance crazes over the last few years.
While Rock and Roll has been popular in the U.S. for over 50 years, Rock en Español has been gaining popularity. Garcia takes a look into this burgeoning scene that many second and third generation Mexican-Americans have adopted as their own.
Along with The Taino Dance Company, a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching children and teens the art of Latino dance, a Chicago landmark, the Aragon Ballroom, is also featured in this special "Ñ Beat." Two Latino partners, Luis Rossi and Ivan Fernandez, have managed to renovate this old gem and make it 'sing' again with predominately Latino shows.
"Ñ Beat" is produced by Lisa Lubin and will have an encore airing Saturday, April 9th at 2:30 p.m.
La Justicia Restaurant
3901 W. 26th St.
Chicago, IL 60623
Aragon Entertainment Center
1106 W. Lawrence Av.
Chicago, IL 60640
WVIV Viva 103.1FM
WOJO Que Buena 105.1FM
625 N. Michigan Av.
Chicago, IL 60611
Chicago International Salsa Congress
Cultural Expressions Productions, ltd.
333 W. North Av.
Chicago, IL 60610
Taino Dance Company
5137 W. Grand Av.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 22 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 2 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 1 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 52 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
52 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
2 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
1 min ago