March 10, 2004 -- ABC 7's Theresa Gutierrez hosts "Tapestry Presents: The Ñ Beat" Saturday, March 20 at 6:30 p.m. Ñ Beat is a series of locally produced half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making positive strides in their communities.
Gutierrez, along with ABC 7 Chicago's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, bring alive the stories of the many Latino immigrants that have enriched the fabric of our city. With Homeland Security and illegal immigration constantly in the headlines, this important Ñ Beat offers an inside glimpse into the immigrant's life and sheds light on some of our current immigration laws.
Gutierrez introduces us to Ricardo Estrada, an American citizen who was born in Mexico. Illegally crossing the border with his family at age 6, Estrada, who has earned 3 degrees, is currently the Executive Director of the Erie Neighborhood House, one of the city's oldest community service agencies.
Garcia brings us up to date on the heart-wrenching story of Leonor Garcia (no relation). This Mexican immigrant was wrongly informed about the steps to take in order to become a U.S. citizen and is now appealing a deportation ruling. He and his family, including two children who were born here and are therefore American citizens, may be sent back to Mexico after living in the states for 15 years.
Baca speaks with Illiana Terrazas who came to the U.S. when she was six. She is now attending Northeastern Illinois University and waiting to become a legal resident.
Gutierrez rounds out this special edition of "TAPESTRY PRESENTS: THE Ñ BEAT" by offering insight into President Bush's new proposal and getting reaction from some leading figures in the Latino community. Congressman Luis Gutierrez; Joshua Hoyt, Executive Director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigration Rights; Brian Perryman, former Chicago District Director of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service; and Chris Bergin, an Immigration lawyer all share their expertise on the status of immigrants in our country.
"TAPESTRY PRESENTS: THE Ñ BEAT" is produced by Lisa Lubin and will have an encore airing on Saturday, March 27th, 12:00 p.m.
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 12 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River mouth 39 min ago
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party