March 10, 2004 -- ABC 7's Theresa Gutierrez hosts "Tapestry Presents: The Ñ Beat" Saturday, March 20 at 6:30 p.m. Ñ Beat is a series of locally produced half-hour specials featuring prominent Latinos who are making positive strides in their communities.
Gutierrez, along with ABC 7 Chicago's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, bring alive the stories of the many Latino immigrants that have enriched the fabric of our city. With Homeland Security and illegal immigration constantly in the headlines, this important Ñ Beat offers an inside glimpse into the immigrant's life and sheds light on some of our current immigration laws.
Gutierrez introduces us to Ricardo Estrada, an American citizen who was born in Mexico. Illegally crossing the border with his family at age 6, Estrada, who has earned 3 degrees, is currently the Executive Director of the Erie Neighborhood House, one of the city's oldest community service agencies.
Garcia brings us up to date on the heart-wrenching story of Leonor Garcia (no relation). This Mexican immigrant was wrongly informed about the steps to take in order to become a U.S. citizen and is now appealing a deportation ruling. He and his family, including two children who were born here and are therefore American citizens, may be sent back to Mexico after living in the states for 15 years.
Baca speaks with Illiana Terrazas who came to the U.S. when she was six. She is now attending Northeastern Illinois University and waiting to become a legal resident.
Gutierrez rounds out this special edition of "TAPESTRY PRESENTS: THE Ñ BEAT" by offering insight into President Bush's new proposal and getting reaction from some leading figures in the Latino community. Congressman Luis Gutierrez; Joshua Hoyt, Executive Director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigration Rights; Brian Perryman, former Chicago District Director of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service; and Chris Bergin, an Immigration lawyer all share their expertise on the status of immigrants in our country.
"TAPESTRY PRESENTS: THE Ñ BEAT" is produced by Lisa Lubin and will have an encore airing on Saturday, March 27th, 12:00 p.m.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting 31 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
31 min ago