Growing Success of Chicago Latinas
March 29, 2003 -- As the census shows, Hispanics are the fasting growing minority in the United States. 5.8% of U.S. businesses today are owned by Hispanic Americans. This special edition of "Ñ Beat" focuses on the growing success of Chicago Latinas in business.
This half-hour special is hosted by Theresa Gutierrez and features ABC7 personalities John Garcia and Sylvia Perez. We profile some of Chicago's Latinas who are making a difference.
- The Frida Kahlo Exhibit at the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum focuses on one of the most important artists of our time. Most recently profiled in the Academy Award winning motion picture, "Frida," this Mexican painter's works are shown in one of the largest exhibits ever. Frida Kahlo has become one of the most well known Latin American artists of the twentieth century. Despite the physical tragedies that plagued her, she maintained a defiant passion for life.
Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera & Century Mexican Art:
The Jacques & Natasha Gelman Collection
Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum
1852 W. 19th St.
Chicago, IL 60608
Mudd Fleurs is a floral design business owned by Mexican-American, Gloria Baker. She has designed arrangements for some of Chicago's top stores, as well as for parties and is about to open a retail space on the Gold Coast.
Mudd Fleurs/Gloria Baker
66 E. Walton
Chicago, IL 60611
Fashion Designer, Ami Meleccio is a Puerto Rican American who has taken her childhood hobby and transformed it into a thriving clothing design business.
Ami Meleccio Fashions
Laticia Peralta Davis has been appointed the CEO of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority by the Governor. She formerly was the President and CEO of her own company-Davis Financial Group, Inc.
Laticia Peralta Davis/CEO MPEA
Latinas in Leadership is an offshoot of the Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. This group is helping set the example and pave the way for a new crop of Latina Entrepreneurs and corporate executives.
Latinas in Leadership Committee
Arabel Alva Rosales/Committee Chairperson:
Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce:
33 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60602
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 12 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 59 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 44 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 7 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 5 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 20 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
12 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
20 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos