Growing Success of Chicago Latinas
March 29, 2003 -- As the census shows, Hispanics are the fasting growing minority in the United States. 5.8% of U.S. businesses today are owned by Hispanic Americans. This special edition of "Ñ Beat" focuses on the growing success of Chicago Latinas in business.
This half-hour special is hosted by Theresa Gutierrez and features ABC7 personalities John Garcia and Sylvia Perez. We profile some of Chicago's Latinas who are making a difference.
- The Frida Kahlo Exhibit at the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum focuses on one of the most important artists of our time. Most recently profiled in the Academy Award winning motion picture, "Frida," this Mexican painter's works are shown in one of the largest exhibits ever. Frida Kahlo has become one of the most well known Latin American artists of the twentieth century. Despite the physical tragedies that plagued her, she maintained a defiant passion for life.
Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera & Century Mexican Art:
The Jacques & Natasha Gelman Collection
Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum
1852 W. 19th St.
Chicago, IL 60608
Mudd Fleurs is a floral design business owned by Mexican-American, Gloria Baker. She has designed arrangements for some of Chicago's top stores, as well as for parties and is about to open a retail space on the Gold Coast.
Mudd Fleurs/Gloria Baker
66 E. Walton
Chicago, IL 60611
Fashion Designer, Ami Meleccio is a Puerto Rican American who has taken her childhood hobby and transformed it into a thriving clothing design business.
Ami Meleccio Fashions
Laticia Peralta Davis has been appointed the CEO of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority by the Governor. She formerly was the President and CEO of her own company-Davis Financial Group, Inc.
Laticia Peralta Davis/CEO MPEA
Latinas in Leadership is an offshoot of the Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. This group is helping set the example and pave the way for a new crop of Latina Entrepreneurs and corporate executives.
Latinas in Leadership Committee
Arabel Alva Rosales/Committee Chairperson:
Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce:
33 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60602
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 48 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 53 min ago
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western 20 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake