Stop The Violence: Lessons & Alternatives
ABC 7 Chicago presents Stop The Violence: Lessons & Alternatives with Cheryl Burton and Ron Magers.
Magers and Burton lead a discussion about how to stem the growing tide of violence against the children of Chicago in the half-hour special Stop the Violence: Lessons & Alternatives.
This program aired commercial-free and in HD with reports from ABC 7 News' Charles Thomas and Ben Bradley on Wednesday, September 26TH at 10:35 p.m. It is now availble on-demand on ABC7Chicago.com.
During this follow-up special, Magers and Burton will initiate a dialogue with community leaders focusing on education as a key component to helping curtail violence, the impact of active parents on students' education and the role community members can play in creating compelling alternatives to gang activity.
Stop the Violence Web EXTRA: The discussion continues
Joining Burton and Magers for the continuing discussion on the best ways to keep our children safe are Arne Duncan, CEO, Chicago Public Schools, (CPS); Diane Latiker, founder, Kids Off the Block; Phillip Jackson, executive director, The Black Star Project; and Meredith Rodriguez, education outreach specialist, BUILD Chicago (Broader Urban Involvement and Leadership Development).
ABC 7 first took a look at this issue in June, 2007 in Stop the Violence: A Search for Solutions, a half-hour special produced in response to the alarming number of CPS students who lost their lives to violence.
Wilson Toy is the executive producer of Stop the Violence: Lessons & Alternatives; Sylvia Jones is the producer.
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party