June 5, 2010: Encouraging Urban Youth
With the escalation of violence affecting young people we looked at two organizations that our approaching this heartbreaking reality from the perspective of positive solutions:
The mission of Restoring the P.I.E.C.E.S is to reconnect schools that have been impacted by violence with their surrounding communities through student-led public art projects. Create an atmosphere where all community stakeholders can work collaboratively toward the restoration of victims and communities. Develop a creative process that empowers students with a visual voice that responds to their needs as they see them, while gifting the community with a public artwork that serves as a reminder of what is possible through cohesiveness.
Check out www.restoringthepieces.com.
The All Stars Project has brought its successful approach to developmental community organizing to Chicago's youth. Director of the All Stars Project of Chicago (ASP of Chicago) David Cherry, is a grassroots organizer who has worked in Chicago's diverse communities for 16 years. The ASP creates outside of school, educational and performing arts activities for thousands of poor and minority young people. It sponsors community and experimental theatre, develops leadership training and pursues volunteer initiatives that build and strengthen communities.
To learn more visit www.allstars.org.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 23 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 29 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 29 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 48 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 59 min ago
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
23 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
29 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
29 min ago