June 5, 2010: Encouraging Urban Youth
With the escalation of violence affecting young people we looked at two organizations that our approaching this heartbreaking reality from the perspective of positive solutions:
The mission of Restoring the P.I.E.C.E.S is to reconnect schools that have been impacted by violence with their surrounding communities through student-led public art projects. Create an atmosphere where all community stakeholders can work collaboratively toward the restoration of victims and communities. Develop a creative process that empowers students with a visual voice that responds to their needs as they see them, while gifting the community with a public artwork that serves as a reminder of what is possible through cohesiveness.
Check out www.restoringthepieces.com.
The All Stars Project has brought its successful approach to developmental community organizing to Chicago's youth. Director of the All Stars Project of Chicago (ASP of Chicago) David Cherry, is a grassroots organizer who has worked in Chicago's diverse communities for 16 years. The ASP creates outside of school, educational and performing arts activities for thousands of poor and minority young people. It sponsors community and experimental theatre, develops leadership training and pursues volunteer initiatives that build and strengthen communities.
To learn more visit www.allstars.org.
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season early
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave