June 5, 2010: Encouraging Urban Youth
With the escalation of violence affecting young people we looked at two organizations that our approaching this heartbreaking reality from the perspective of positive solutions:
The mission of Restoring the P.I.E.C.E.S is to reconnect schools that have been impacted by violence with their surrounding communities through student-led public art projects. Create an atmosphere where all community stakeholders can work collaboratively toward the restoration of victims and communities. Develop a creative process that empowers students with a visual voice that responds to their needs as they see them, while gifting the community with a public artwork that serves as a reminder of what is possible through cohesiveness.
Check out www.restoringthepieces.com.
The All Stars Project has brought its successful approach to developmental community organizing to Chicago's youth. Director of the All Stars Project of Chicago (ASP of Chicago) David Cherry, is a grassroots organizer who has worked in Chicago's diverse communities for 16 years. The ASP creates outside of school, educational and performing arts activities for thousands of poor and minority young people. It sponsors community and experimental theatre, develops leadership training and pursues volunteer initiatives that build and strengthen communities.
To learn more visit www.allstars.org.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash 49 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple... 29 min ago
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77