July 4, 2010: Chicagoing Cares--YMCA/Mujeres
In this edition of "Chicagoing Cares" we looked at two organizations that have unique perspectives handling community needs in the 21st Century.
Mujeres Latinas en Acción empowers Latinas through providing services which reflect their values and culture and being an advocate on the issues that make a difference in their lives. Mujeres was selected as National Council of La Raza Affiliate of the Year. To learn more visit www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org.
Also, with current pressures on the State for school funding, coupled with tensions in the city surrounding summertime violence, we learned that the Chicago YMCA has launched its Safe Kids Campaign to provide our critically needed Community Schools Summer Camp program. This program serves nearly 1,000 youth, ages 5-12, in eight communities where violence runs most rampant and where safe alternatives are scarce.
To get more information visit www.ymcachicago.org/safekids.
- Teen fatally shot in car chase, crash in West Town
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested 13 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 47 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue 27 min ago
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake