July 4, 2010: Chicagoing Cares--YMCA/Mujeres
In this edition of "Chicagoing Cares" we looked at two organizations that have unique perspectives handling community needs in the 21st Century.
Mujeres Latinas en Acción empowers Latinas through providing services which reflect their values and culture and being an advocate on the issues that make a difference in their lives. Mujeres was selected as National Council of La Raza Affiliate of the Year. To learn more visit www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org.
Also, with current pressures on the State for school funding, coupled with tensions in the city surrounding summertime violence, we learned that the Chicago YMCA has launched its Safe Kids Campaign to provide our critically needed Community Schools Summer Camp program. This program serves nearly 1,000 youth, ages 5-12, in eight communities where violence runs most rampant and where safe alternatives are scarce.
To get more information visit www.ymcachicago.org/safekids.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra train fatally hits man on NW Side 19 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 36 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 53 min ago
- Ill. communities spurring renewable energy 25 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial 38 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 32 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant 22 min ago
- 7 in :77