July 4, 2010: Chicagoing Cares--YMCA/Mujeres
In this edition of "Chicagoing Cares" we looked at two organizations that have unique perspectives handling community needs in the 21st Century.
Mujeres Latinas en Acción empowers Latinas through providing services which reflect their values and culture and being an advocate on the issues that make a difference in their lives. Mujeres was selected as National Council of La Raza Affiliate of the Year. To learn more visit www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org.
Also, with current pressures on the State for school funding, coupled with tensions in the city surrounding summertime violence, we learned that the Chicago YMCA has launched its Safe Kids Campaign to provide our critically needed Community Schools Summer Camp program. This program serves nearly 1,000 youth, ages 5-12, in eight communities where violence runs most rampant and where safe alternatives are scarce.
To get more information visit www.ymcachicago.org/safekids.
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party