July 4, 2010: Chicagoing Cares--YMCA/Mujeres
In this edition of "Chicagoing Cares" we looked at two organizations that have unique perspectives handling community needs in the 21st Century.
Mujeres Latinas en Acción empowers Latinas through providing services which reflect their values and culture and being an advocate on the issues that make a difference in their lives. Mujeres was selected as National Council of La Raza Affiliate of the Year. To learn more visit www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org.
Also, with current pressures on the State for school funding, coupled with tensions in the city surrounding summertime violence, we learned that the Chicago YMCA has launched its Safe Kids Campaign to provide our critically needed Community Schools Summer Camp program. This program serves nearly 1,000 youth, ages 5-12, in eight communities where violence runs most rampant and where safe alternatives are scarce.
To get more information visit www.ymcachicago.org/safekids.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 1 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos