Breathtaking video high above Chicago
October 2012 (WLS) -- These are some extraordinary video clips of the recent installation of the new ABC 7 antenna atop Willis Tower.
The amazing shots were taken by tiny cameras on the ironworker's helmets, the antenna sections themselves, and another helicopter. The video features Local 1 ironworkers John Rukavina and his nephew Bob East.
Director Stephen Brown and Zoo City Productions were filming the entire event for a documentary entitled "Cowboys of the Sky", which chronicles the journey of 74-year-old Local 1 ironworker John Rukavina.
Doing an installation in that environment is tough enough for an ironworker. Doing it with a helicopter makes it even more difficult. The stunning video leaves no question of John's skill, experience and fortitude.
From the Director: "Cowboys of the Sky will bring viewers into the world and the environment of the brave men that shape our skylines with their hands. This film will take viewers on an ironworkers journey from the gritty environment that was South Chicago in the 1950's, a place where graphite used to rain from the sky because of the fire breathing steel mills that would operate around the clock to present day. The film's story chronicles the journey out of that environment through to today. More detail on this is available on the film's website at www.cowboysofthesky.com under the about page.
In order to bring this film to the big screens in places like Chicago and Sundance, Cowboys of the Sky is in the process of raising funding in order to complete what will be a feature length documentary about a legendary ironworker. There are a couple ways to you can support this project. One way is to by a t-shirt. Another is to donate directly to the film through either the International Documentary Association, or directly to the film on the film's website. All of the links and information are on the film's website under the support page at www.cowboysofthesky.com. You can also find Cowboys of the Sky on Facebook."
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff 34 min ago
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming 40 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
40 min ago
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights...
34 min ago
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
40 min ago