Vote 2010: The Candidates Debate
September 22, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago, along with League of Women Voters, will broadcast two debates, "VOTE 2010: THE CANDIDATES DEBATE." ABC's George Stephanopoulos moderated the U.S. Senate debate on October 19th, and ABC7 Chicago's Ron Magers will moderate Governor's debate on October 20th.
In keeping with a longstanding commitment of bringing critical issues to Illinois voters via candidate debates, ABC 7 will partner with the League of Women Voters and the Illinois Broadcasters Association to broadcast two commercial free debates, VOTE 2010: THE CANDIDATES DEBATE. Good Morning America anchor and ABC's Chief Political Correspondent George Stephanopoulos moderated the debate between Illinois senatorial candidates on Tuesday, October 19 from 10:35-11:35 pm and ABC 7 anchor/reporter Ron Magers will moderate the debate between the gubernatorial candidates on Wednesday, October 20 from 10:35-11:35 pm on ABC 7.
In addition to airing on ABC 7's main channel, the hour-long debates will air live on ABC 7's 7.2 Channel at 7:00 pm while also being streamed live on abc7chicago.com. VOTE 2010: THE CANDIDATES DEBATE will take place at the ABC 7 Studios, 190 North State Street. ABC 7's 7.2 is available on Comcast channel 217, RCN channel 618 and Wide Open West channel 219.
During both debates, a panel of journalists will ask candidates a series of pertinent questions on issues key to the voters of Illinois. For the Senate debate, the panel will include Charles Thomas, political editor, ABC 7; Andy Shaw, executive director of the Better Government Association; and Kerry Lester, political reporter at the Daily Herald. The Governor's debate will also include panelists Thomas, Shaw and Rebecca Sanchez, political columnist, Extra News Bilingual paper.
According to Emily Barr, President and General Manager, ABC 7 Chicago, "We are the only commercial television station in the market to carry political debates and have done so for more than two decades. It is an honor to have someone with the insights and political acumen of ABC's George Stephanopoulos to serve as one of our moderators. We are again looking forward to working with the League of Women Voters and the Illinois Broadcasters Association to bring voters a close-up look at the candidates and the issues in these important races."
The Illinois Broadcasters Association will help distribute VOTE 2010: THE CANDIDATES DEBATE to television and radio stations throughout the state.
Christopher Bowen is the producer of VOTE 2010: THE CANDIDATES DEBATE.
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 34 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 47 min ago
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym 50 min ago
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Festival Fridays
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
10 min ago