Chicago celebrates with St. Patrick's Day Parade
March 12, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day , and ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 28th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade Saturday, March 12 from 11:05 p.m. until 12:05 a.m.
St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Chicago started, however, at 10 a.m. Saturday with the dyeing of the Chicago River.
The parade began at 12 p.m.
ABC7's meteorologist Mike Caplan, reporter Frank Mathie and former ABC7 anchor Joel Daly teamed up to host ABC7's coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
In his last official St. Patrick's Day Parade as Mayor of the City of Chicago, Mayor Richard Daley and his wife Maggie, were celebrated as the Grand Marshals of this year's parade. Guests of honor included St. Patrick's High School, celebrating its 150th anniversary.
Thousands of marchers, 170 parade units, 26 marching bands, horses and a few leprechauns were featured as the parade proceeded from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street.
Always a must-see in the parade, the Shannon Rovers bagpipers brought a touch of Ireland to Chicago, as they celebrated their 85th anniversary.
The ABC7 Chicago float was also a part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Ravi Baichwal, Sarah Schulte and Steve Dolinsky.
Video of the St. Patrick's Day Parade is now on-demand.
Christopher Bowen is the executive producer of the parade.
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world 51 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Lakeview runners strip down for 'Santa Speedo Run'
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in...
51 min ago