Chicago celebrates with St. Patrick's Day Parade
March 12, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day , and ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 28th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade Saturday, March 12 from 11:05 p.m. until 12:05 a.m.
St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Chicago started, however, at 10 a.m. Saturday with the dyeing of the Chicago River.
The parade began at 12 p.m.
ABC7's meteorologist Mike Caplan, reporter Frank Mathie and former ABC7 anchor Joel Daly teamed up to host ABC7's coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
In his last official St. Patrick's Day Parade as Mayor of the City of Chicago, Mayor Richard Daley and his wife Maggie, were celebrated as the Grand Marshals of this year's parade. Guests of honor included St. Patrick's High School, celebrating its 150th anniversary.
Thousands of marchers, 170 parade units, 26 marching bands, horses and a few leprechauns were featured as the parade proceeded from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street.
Always a must-see in the parade, the Shannon Rovers bagpipers brought a touch of Ireland to Chicago, as they celebrated their 85th anniversary.
The ABC7 Chicago float was also a part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Ravi Baichwal, Sarah Schulte and Steve Dolinsky.
Video of the St. Patrick's Day Parade is now on-demand.
Christopher Bowen is the executive producer of the parade.
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 1 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts 22 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 8 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap 27 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos