Chicago celebrates with St. Patrick's Day Parade
March 12, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day , and ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 28th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade Saturday, March 12 from 11:05 p.m. until 12:05 a.m.
St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Chicago started, however, at 10 a.m. Saturday with the dyeing of the Chicago River.
The parade began at 12 p.m.
ABC7's meteorologist Mike Caplan, reporter Frank Mathie and former ABC7 anchor Joel Daly teamed up to host ABC7's coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
In his last official St. Patrick's Day Parade as Mayor of the City of Chicago, Mayor Richard Daley and his wife Maggie, were celebrated as the Grand Marshals of this year's parade. Guests of honor included St. Patrick's High School, celebrating its 150th anniversary.
Thousands of marchers, 170 parade units, 26 marching bands, horses and a few leprechauns were featured as the parade proceeded from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street.
Always a must-see in the parade, the Shannon Rovers bagpipers brought a touch of Ireland to Chicago, as they celebrated their 85th anniversary.
The ABC7 Chicago float was also a part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Ravi Baichwal, Sarah Schulte and Steve Dolinsky.
Video of the St. Patrick's Day Parade is now on-demand.
Christopher Bowen is the executive producer of the parade.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead 45 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77