Asian Influences: Focused on the Future
May 18, 2011 (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago, in recognition of Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month, will present a half-hour special that features a look at how Chicago is responding to the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that rocked Japan; conversations with the newly elected 47th Ward Alderman Ameya Pawar, and an examination of healthcare services in the Asian American community.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future," hosted by Linda Yu with contributions from ABC 7 News Anchors Judy Hsu and Ravi Baichwal, will air Saturday, May 21 at 6:30 PM. An encore presentation airs on Sunday, May 22 at 4:30 PM. This edition will welcome ABC 7 News general assignment reporter Eric Horng as a contributor to the series.
ASIAN INFLUENCES explores how local community organizations have supported Japan after the earthquake and Tsunami crisis.
Next, the program profiles 47th Alderman Ameya Pawar, who set up campaign headquarters in a bowling alley, coffee shop and his car, and walked door to door in order to get his message and name amongst the voters. The "no name candidate" took many by surprise when he beat the incumbent's choice for a successor to become the first Asian American elected to the city council.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focusing on the Future," talks to members of the community about the advancement of the Asian American agenda in Chicago under the new mayor.
Finally, Dr. Karen E. Kim, M.D., an associate professor of Medicine at the University of Chicago helps us understand the need for better healthcare services in the Asian Community. She discusses her efforts to educate medical students about this issue.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future," will be available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com.
Edgar Vargas is the producer of ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future."
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 6 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap