Asian Influences: Focused on the Future
May 18, 2011 (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago, in recognition of Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month, will present a half-hour special that features a look at how Chicago is responding to the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that rocked Japan; conversations with the newly elected 47th Ward Alderman Ameya Pawar, and an examination of healthcare services in the Asian American community.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future," hosted by Linda Yu with contributions from ABC 7 News Anchors Judy Hsu and Ravi Baichwal, will air Saturday, May 21 at 6:30 PM. An encore presentation airs on Sunday, May 22 at 4:30 PM. This edition will welcome ABC 7 News general assignment reporter Eric Horng as a contributor to the series.
ASIAN INFLUENCES explores how local community organizations have supported Japan after the earthquake and Tsunami crisis.
Next, the program profiles 47th Alderman Ameya Pawar, who set up campaign headquarters in a bowling alley, coffee shop and his car, and walked door to door in order to get his message and name amongst the voters. The "no name candidate" took many by surprise when he beat the incumbent's choice for a successor to become the first Asian American elected to the city council.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focusing on the Future," talks to members of the community about the advancement of the Asian American agenda in Chicago under the new mayor.
Finally, Dr. Karen E. Kim, M.D., an associate professor of Medicine at the University of Chicago helps us understand the need for better healthcare services in the Asian Community. She discusses her efforts to educate medical students about this issue.
ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future," will be available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com.
Edgar Vargas is the producer of ASIAN INFLUENCES: "Focused on the Future."
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Food additive believed to be substance at Dunes beach
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat have no room for error
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools 18 min ago
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back 28 min ago
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3 28 min ago
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund...
18 min ago
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos