26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade
September 11, 2011 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC 7 CHICAGO will highlight the rich culture and traditions of Chicago's Latino community during Hispanic Heritage Month. From September 15 through October 15, ABC 7 will celebrate Hispanic heritage with special news reports; a half-hour edition of THE Ñ BEAT; the HD broadcast of the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade and a series of vignettes honoring Chicago Latinos.
On Sunday, September 11, all the pageantry of Mexican culture will be on display in HD when ABC 7 broadcasts the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade, hosted by Theresa Gutierrez from 2:00-3:00 PM. (The parade kicks off at noon.)
Participating in this colorful community event will be members of the ABC 7 News team including Jim Rose, Ravi Baichwal, John Garcia, Roz Varon and Jason Knowles who will be riding atop the ABC 7 float. Throughout September and October, ABC 7 will broadcast Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes focusing on Latina leaders from all walks of life. The Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes are hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, Sylvia Perez, Stacey Baca, John Garcia and Roz Varon and are produced by ABC 7's Edgar Vargas.
Then, ABC 7 will broadcast its Emmy Award-winning program, THE Ñ BEAT, hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC 7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, Saturday, September 24 at 6:30 pm with an encore presentation on Sunday, September 25 at 2:30 pm.
In this edition of THE Ñ BEAT: "Making us Count," Theresa Gutierrez focuses on the economic promise of a growing Latino community in the suburbs. According to the 2010 U.S. Census Data, Latinos account for 15.9 percent of the Illinois population and 90 percent of the state's growth in the last decade.
THE Ñ BEAT talks with Sylvia Puente, executive director of the Latino Policy Forum, who helps interpret what the numbers mean to this new and burgeoning suburban population.
The Ñ Beat and the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade are available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com They are produced by Edgar Vargas.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 27 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 7 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death 33 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back 25 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 34 min ago
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan... 1 min ago
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center 21 min ago
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car...
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64 2 min ago
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
7 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
27 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey to be...
35 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos