THE Ñ BEAT: "Making us Count"
September 25, 2011 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC 7 CHICAGO will highlight the rich culture and traditions of Chicago's Latino community during Hispanic Heritage Month.
Throughout September and October, ABC 7 will broadcast Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes focusing on Latina leaders from all walks of life. The Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes are hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, Sylvia Perez, Stacey Baca, John Garcia and Roz Varon and are produced by ABC 7's Edgar Vargas.
ABC 7 will broadcast its Emmy Award-winning program, THE Ñ BEAT, hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC 7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, Saturday, September 24 at 6:30 pm with an encore presentation on Sunday, September 25 at 2:30 pm.
In this edition of THE Ñ BEAT: "Making us Count," Theresa Gutierrez focuses on the economic promise of a growing Latino community in the suburbs. According to the 2010 U.S. Census Data, Latinos account for 15.9 percent of the Illinois population and 90 percent of the state's growth in the last decade.
THE Ñ BEAT talks with Sylvia Puente, executive director of the Latino Policy Forum, who helps interpret what the numbers mean to this new and burgeoning suburban population.
The Ñ Beat and the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade are available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com They are produced by Edgar Vargas.
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand