ABC7 celebrates St. Patrick's Day
March 15, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day! ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 29th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade, which aired on ABC7 Saturday, March 17, 2012 from 11:30 PM until 12:30 AM.
ABC7 meteorologist Mike Caplan, reporter Frank Mathie and former ABC7 Anchor Joel Daly team up to host the coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
The parade kicked off on Saturday, March 17th at noon and paid special tribute to priests and their devoted service to helping people in need throughout the Chicago community.
The Grand Marshal was Fr. Clete Kiley, Director of Immigration Policy for Unite Here, the "Guest of Honor" will be Fr. Jack Clair, assistant executive director and chaplain at Misericordia and the "Special Honoree" was Fr. Scott Donahue, president and CEO for Mercy Homes for Boys and Girls. Mercy Homes is celebrating its 125th anniversary.
Thousands of marchers, 157 parade units, 27 marching bands, 60 floats, horses and a few leprechaun were featured as the parade proceeds from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street. Always a must-see in the parade, the Shannon Rovers bagpipers brought a touch of Ireland to Chicago as they have for the past 86 years.
The ABC 7 Chicago float was also part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Kathy Brock, Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Rafer Weigel, and Steve Dolinsky.
The St. Patrick's Day Parade is now available on demand at ABC7Chicago.com.
Christopher Bowen is the executive producer of the parade broadcast.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Lawyer: No more appeals for Crundwell 29 min ago
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 27 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout