ABC7 celebrates St. Patrick's Day
March 15, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day! ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 29th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade, which aired on ABC7 Saturday, March 17, 2012 from 11:30 PM until 12:30 AM.
ABC7 meteorologist Mike Caplan, reporter Frank Mathie and former ABC7 Anchor Joel Daly team up to host the coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
The parade kicked off on Saturday, March 17th at noon and paid special tribute to priests and their devoted service to helping people in need throughout the Chicago community.
The Grand Marshal was Fr. Clete Kiley, Director of Immigration Policy for Unite Here, the "Guest of Honor" will be Fr. Jack Clair, assistant executive director and chaplain at Misericordia and the "Special Honoree" was Fr. Scott Donahue, president and CEO for Mercy Homes for Boys and Girls. Mercy Homes is celebrating its 125th anniversary.
Thousands of marchers, 157 parade units, 27 marching bands, 60 floats, horses and a few leprechaun were featured as the parade proceeds from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street. Always a must-see in the parade, the Shannon Rovers bagpipers brought a touch of Ireland to Chicago as they have for the past 86 years.
The ABC 7 Chicago float was also part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Kathy Brock, Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Rafer Weigel, and Steve Dolinsky.
The St. Patrick's Day Parade is now available on demand at ABC7Chicago.com.
Christopher Bowen is the executive producer of the parade broadcast.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence 57 min ago
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control 33 min ago
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos