Watch ABC 7's 2012 Memorial Day Parade broadcast
May 18, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago salutes the nation's veterans with the broadcast of Chicago's Memorial Day Parade, the largest annual Memorial Day Parade in the country, Sunday, May 27, 2012, from 4-5:00 pm on ABC 7. The Memorial Day Parade was hosted by ABC 7's anchors Ravi Baichwal and Stacey Baca. It kicked off from State and Lake, proceeding south down State Street to Van Buren on Saturday, May 26th at noon. Post 911 veterans were represented in the parade this year.
ABC 7 Chicago's Ben Bradley, Theresa Gutierrez, Evelyn Holmes, Sarah Schulte and Phil Schwarz were part of the festivities as they rode atop the station float.
The Memorial Day Parade paid tribute to the fallen heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country and freedom. This year's Grand Marshal was CIA Director David H. Patraeus (U.S. Army Retired) who became the 20th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency on September 6, 2011. Patraeus has dedicated his life to public service, retiring from the United States Army after a distinguished 37-year career. Patraeus participated in the solemn Wreath Laying Ceremony preceding the parade at 11:00 a.m.
This year's parade commemorated the 150th anniversary of Taps with a special tribute. In 1862, Oliver Wilcox Norton wrote what he called "the hardest 24 notes to play." The all too familiar cadence of notes first played by Wilcox during the Civil War were played by a group from Bugles Across America to mark the anniversary.
Included in the day's events was special recognition of the Illinois Gold Star Families at the Wreath Laying Ceremony at Daley Plaza.
Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year