Watch ABC 7's 2012 Memorial Day Parade broadcast
May 18, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago salutes the nation's veterans with the broadcast of Chicago's Memorial Day Parade, the largest annual Memorial Day Parade in the country, Sunday, May 27, 2012, from 4-5:00 pm on ABC 7. The Memorial Day Parade was hosted by ABC 7's anchors Ravi Baichwal and Stacey Baca. It kicked off from State and Lake, proceeding south down State Street to Van Buren on Saturday, May 26th at noon. Post 911 veterans were represented in the parade this year.
ABC 7 Chicago's Ben Bradley, Theresa Gutierrez, Evelyn Holmes, Sarah Schulte and Phil Schwarz were part of the festivities as they rode atop the station float.
The Memorial Day Parade paid tribute to the fallen heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country and freedom. This year's Grand Marshal was CIA Director David H. Patraeus (U.S. Army Retired) who became the 20th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency on September 6, 2011. Patraeus has dedicated his life to public service, retiring from the United States Army after a distinguished 37-year career. Patraeus participated in the solemn Wreath Laying Ceremony preceding the parade at 11:00 a.m.
This year's parade commemorated the 150th anniversary of Taps with a special tribute. In 1862, Oliver Wilcox Norton wrote what he called "the hardest 24 notes to play." The all too familiar cadence of notes first played by Wilcox during the Civil War were played by a group from Bugles Across America to mark the anniversary.
Included in the day's events was special recognition of the Illinois Gold Star Families at the Wreath Laying Ceremony at Daley Plaza.
Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- CPS students, teachers protest as closures begin 5 min ago
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Milwaukee District West Metra trains moving after earlier delay 18 min ago
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CPS students, teachers protest as closures...
5 min ago