Watch ABC 7's 2012 Memorial Day Parade broadcast
May 18, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago salutes the nation's veterans with the broadcast of Chicago's Memorial Day Parade, the largest annual Memorial Day Parade in the country, Sunday, May 27, 2012, from 4-5:00 pm on ABC 7. The Memorial Day Parade was hosted by ABC 7's anchors Ravi Baichwal and Stacey Baca. It kicked off from State and Lake, proceeding south down State Street to Van Buren on Saturday, May 26th at noon. Post 911 veterans were represented in the parade this year.
ABC 7 Chicago's Ben Bradley, Theresa Gutierrez, Evelyn Holmes, Sarah Schulte and Phil Schwarz were part of the festivities as they rode atop the station float.
The Memorial Day Parade paid tribute to the fallen heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country and freedom. This year's Grand Marshal was CIA Director David H. Patraeus (U.S. Army Retired) who became the 20th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency on September 6, 2011. Patraeus has dedicated his life to public service, retiring from the United States Army after a distinguished 37-year career. Patraeus participated in the solemn Wreath Laying Ceremony preceding the parade at 11:00 a.m.
This year's parade commemorated the 150th anniversary of Taps with a special tribute. In 1862, Oliver Wilcox Norton wrote what he called "the hardest 24 notes to play." The all too familiar cadence of notes first played by Wilcox during the Civil War were played by a group from Bugles Across America to mark the anniversary.
Included in the day's events was special recognition of the Illinois Gold Star Families at the Wreath Laying Ceremony at Daley Plaza.
Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home