The Champions of Lurie Children's Hospital
June 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- ''The Champions of Lurie Children's'' is a half-hour special hosted by ABC7's Janet Davies and Jim Rose. It will air on ABC7 Chicago on Saturday, June 9th at 6pm, the same day Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago officially opens its doors.
For the last four years, Bruce Komiske has led the hospital's design and construction. In "The Champions of Lurie Children's", he gives co-host, Janet Davies, private/special access to many of the areas that make Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago such a world-class medical institution. In addition to a comprehensive tour of the tallest children's hospital in the world, viewers will also find out about some of the community partnerships that make the hospital a truly unique healing environment. "The Champions of Lurie Children's" also features a round-up of the many opening events and a star-studded celebration that led up to 'moving day.'
Janet Davies and Jim Rose also turn the spotlight on the touching stories of three very special young patients at Lurie Children's. When Addison Zellner's parents found out their unborn daughter was confronting Spina Bifida, they immediately returned to the caring network of their Chicago families... and to Children's Memorial Hospital. Once Addison was born, she underwent multiple surgeries and treatments. Now, Lurie Children's will serve as this spunky 4-year-old's 'home away from home' as she deals with the challenges she faces due to her congenital condition.
For 9 years, Jonathan Lovett-Jones has dealt with a whole host of medical issues that stem from sickle cell anemia. He copes with episodes of chronic pain, transfusions& even a daily chemotherapy drug. The one constant that makes the ordeal more bearable for Jonathan and his family, is the unparalleled care he receives at Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
When 4 year-old Connor Ruisz began having flu-like symptoms just more than a year ago, his parents never suspected cancer. But a hunch from their pediatrician sent them straight to the former Children's Memorial Hospital. There, with the help of his medical team, he has courageously and successfully, battled a brain tumor. He'll come to the new Lurie Children's Hospital, as his doctors keep a close watch on his tumor.
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday 37 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world 21 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 13 min ago
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation 40 min ago
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Lakeview runners strip down for 'Santa Speedo Run'
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
13 min ago
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday
37 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in...
21 min ago