The Champions of Lurie Children's Hospital
June 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- ''The Champions of Lurie Children's'' is a half-hour special hosted by ABC7's Janet Davies and Jim Rose. It will air on ABC7 Chicago on Saturday, June 9th at 6pm, the same day Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago officially opens its doors.
For the last four years, Bruce Komiske has led the hospital's design and construction. In "The Champions of Lurie Children's", he gives co-host, Janet Davies, private/special access to many of the areas that make Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago such a world-class medical institution. In addition to a comprehensive tour of the tallest children's hospital in the world, viewers will also find out about some of the community partnerships that make the hospital a truly unique healing environment. "The Champions of Lurie Children's" also features a round-up of the many opening events and a star-studded celebration that led up to 'moving day.'
Janet Davies and Jim Rose also turn the spotlight on the touching stories of three very special young patients at Lurie Children's. When Addison Zellner's parents found out their unborn daughter was confronting Spina Bifida, they immediately returned to the caring network of their Chicago families... and to Children's Memorial Hospital. Once Addison was born, she underwent multiple surgeries and treatments. Now, Lurie Children's will serve as this spunky 4-year-old's 'home away from home' as she deals with the challenges she faces due to her congenital condition.
For 9 years, Jonathan Lovett-Jones has dealt with a whole host of medical issues that stem from sickle cell anemia. He copes with episodes of chronic pain, transfusions& even a daily chemotherapy drug. The one constant that makes the ordeal more bearable for Jonathan and his family, is the unparalleled care he receives at Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
When 4 year-old Connor Ruisz began having flu-like symptoms just more than a year ago, his parents never suspected cancer. But a hunch from their pediatrician sent them straight to the former Children's Memorial Hospital. There, with the help of his medical team, he has courageously and successfully, battled a brain tumor. He'll come to the new Lurie Children's Hospital, as his doctors keep a close watch on his tumor.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood 37 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 43 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business 35 min ago
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night 32 min ago
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
37 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
43 min ago
- Aperitifs, digestifs enhance meals at Sable
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos