ABC 7 Chicago Only Chicago Station to Broadcast 47th Annual 'Puerto Rican Day Parade'
June 6, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago is proud to be the broadcast home for ''The Puerto Rican Day Parade,'' as it has been for the past 35 years.
Hosted by General Assignment Reporter and Host of "Ñ BEAT," Theresa Gutierrez and co-hosted by David Zayas, the parade aired Sunday, June 17, from 1pm-2pm. (The Puerto Rican Day Parade took place on Saturday, June 16, and began at noon).
ABC 7 is the only station in the market to produce and air this important community event. The Parade is now available on-demand at abc7chicago.com.
ABC 7 Chicago's Stacey Baca, Mark Giangreco, Leah Hope, Karen Jordan, Sylvia Perez, Jerry Taft, Hosea Sanders, and Roz Varon joined in the festivities atop the ABC 7 Chicago float.
The 47th annual "Puerto Rican Day Parade" paid tribute to Chicago's rich Puerto Rican culture. It kicked off at Columbus and Balbo Drives with a colorful procession of floats, folk dancers, reggaeton musical groups and salsa dancers. Participants represented their various hometowns in Puerto Rico. The theme of this year's festival was "La Mujer Puertorriqueña" or "The Puerto Rican Woman."
The Parade's 2012 Honorary Grand Marshal was Montserrat "Monsi" Roman, Chief Micro Biologist for NASA. Since 1989, Roman has worked to ensure safe water and air for the crew of the International Space Station, the world's largest space laboratory.
"The Puerto Rican Day Parade" was produced by ABC 7's Edgar Vargas.
- 5 kids shot in Greater Grand Crossing drive-by 2 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout