ABC 7 Chicago Only Chicago Station to Broadcast 47th Annual 'Puerto Rican Day Parade'
June 6, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago is proud to be the broadcast home for ''The Puerto Rican Day Parade,'' as it has been for the past 35 years.
Hosted by General Assignment Reporter and Host of "Ñ BEAT," Theresa Gutierrez and co-hosted by David Zayas, the parade aired Sunday, June 17, from 1pm-2pm. (The Puerto Rican Day Parade took place on Saturday, June 16, and began at noon).
ABC 7 is the only station in the market to produce and air this important community event. The Parade is now available on-demand at abc7chicago.com.
ABC 7 Chicago's Stacey Baca, Mark Giangreco, Leah Hope, Karen Jordan, Sylvia Perez, Jerry Taft, Hosea Sanders, and Roz Varon joined in the festivities atop the ABC 7 Chicago float.
The 47th annual "Puerto Rican Day Parade" paid tribute to Chicago's rich Puerto Rican culture. It kicked off at Columbus and Balbo Drives with a colorful procession of floats, folk dancers, reggaeton musical groups and salsa dancers. Participants represented their various hometowns in Puerto Rico. The theme of this year's festival was "La Mujer Puertorriqueña" or "The Puerto Rican Woman."
The Parade's 2012 Honorary Grand Marshal was Montserrat "Monsi" Roman, Chief Micro Biologist for NASA. Since 1989, Roman has worked to ensure safe water and air for the crew of the International Space Station, the world's largest space laboratory.
"The Puerto Rican Day Parade" was produced by ABC 7's Edgar Vargas.
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season early
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave