Heart & Soul from Saturday, July 21, 2012
ABC 7's Charles Thomas and Evelyn Holmes hosted the latest installment of Heart & Soul, a series of specials that tap into Chicago's vibrant African American community on Saturday, July 21.
Leah Hope and Hosea Sanders also contribute reports to this week's episode. An encore presentation will air Saturday, August 11th at 4:30 pm on ABC 7.
Heart & Soul is the winner of the 2012 Illinois Broadcasters Association's "Best Public Affairs Program" award.
Heart & Soul spotlights writer and DePaul University Alum Paul Oakley Stovall. Stovall is currently working with renowned Actress Phylicia Rashad of 'The Cosby Show' fame in a new play titled "Immediate Family," currently in production at the Goodman Theater. The play features Chicago native Cynda Williams, who throughout her career has worked with the likes of Spike Lee and Denzel Washington. Heart & Soul got the chance sit down with Cynda to talk about the play and her latest project.
Next up, are the symphonic sounds of the Hyde Park Suzuki Institute, a music institute that trains a diverse group of students interested in classical music. Performing at various venues all across the city, these musically inclined students compete on a local and national level, and interact with professional musicians associated with the Chicago Sinfonietta and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
"This edition of Heart & Soul definitely has that wow factor," says producer Rubye Wilson Lane. "Our viewers will be blown away by the talented kids from the Hyde Park Suzuki Institute who play the violin, viola and cello. These students sound like an orchestra well beyond their years even though they range in age from 3-17 years old. Hearing them brings joy to my heart."
Heart & Soul also features students from Christ the King Jesuit School who have distinguished themselves as being the first senior class to graduate, all college bound. The show profiles two students from the Austin neighborhood on Chicago's West side. For the past four years, they have been given the opportunity to work in a corporate setting, receiving valuable hands on experience.
Finally, the show looks at a high school in the Bronzeville community with an amazing accomplishment: the school recently graduated three Bill and Melinda Gates scholars. Their small senior class, with 120 students, was awarded more than $5 million in scholarship money.
Hyde Park Suzuki Institute
5500 South Woodlawn Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking