Chicago Skyscapes: Chicago Botanic Garden
May 20, 2010 (GLENCOE, Ill.) -- The new Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Plant Conservation Science Center features a green roof that underscores the Garden's commitment to plant conservation.
Combining practical benefits with aesthetic appeal, the Green Roof Garden also provides an opportunity for research and education, serving as a living laboratory.
Two distinct areas serve specific functions: the Ellis Goodman Family Foundation Green Roof Garden South features regional and national native plants, many of which are not currently used as rooftop plants; the Josephine P. & John J. Louis Foundation Green Roof Garden North features a mix of plants known as good green roof plants, plus native and exotic plants that have potential for green roof use. Generally, the plants are sun loving, drought tolerant, have a shallow root system, and can withstand windy conditions.
Green roofs are an important component of sustainable urban development. According to the International Green Roof Association (IGRA), public benefits of green roofs include stormwater retention, a decrease in the urban heat island effect, a reduction of dust and smog, natural beauty, and the provision of a new habitat for plants. Benefits to the building itself include increased roof life, reduced noise levels, thermal insulation, and effectiveness as a heat shield during hot weather.
The Plant Science Center's Green Roof Garden manifests not only all of the benefits listed above, but serves as an outdoor classroom to thousands of Garden visitors annually; the 16,000-square-foot green roof is accessible to the public via a grand staircase, and an overlook with interpretive panels educates visitors about all aspects of rooftop gardens. The green roof also features an array of solar panels, which supply some of the building's power.
WHERE: Chicago Botanic Garden at 1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 20 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist 38 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover 35 min ago
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train 3 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case 37 min ago
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
16 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for...
35 min ago